The Royal International Air Tattoo 2008 Team cancelled its two days airshow.
It is with great dismay that we are just coming back from Fairford with a " no show " this year.
Yet I congratulate all the 3.000 volunteers who worked hard a year long to offer this year's show, and feel deep sadness for them.
Despite a huge effort by everyone involved to improve the conditions of the waterlogged public car parks, it became clear by mid-afternoon today (July 12) that significant areas of the fields and of the showground remain unusable.
Here is the statement from Tim Prince I heard on 87.7 Wings FM radio station at 16-20 PM on Saturday July 12th, while I was just watching a muddy car Park east from the air base. The July 12th show had already been cancelled a day before for that same reason.
Air Tattoo Director Tim Prince said: “We have been working around the clock to improve the conditions on the airfield and in the car parks but unfortunately we have run out of time.
“Many people will be desperately disappointed but I would like to assure them that we have tried everything possible within the time available.
“Having worked towards this airshow for the past 12 months, my team at the Royal Air Force Charitable Trust Enterprises and our band of 3,000 enthusiastic and loyal volunteers share the huge sense of frustration.”
The senior Police commander for the Air Tattoo, Supt Tony Godwin, said; “It is with deep regret that the decision has been made to cancel the Royal International Air Tattoo on both days. This decision was not made lightly. It was made in the interest of those visiting or working at the event.
Thereafter all participating airplanes could all depart on Monday July 14th, and it was unusual in a RIAT, that the Monday's opening Park and View became the only opportunity to the public to come on the tarmac and listen to a few sounds of engines.